Wednesday 22 June 2011

Knitted Glasses Case

Happy Anniversary 

It's just over a year since I learned to knit. I've knitted dozens of items of assorted quality during that time, building up from simple garter stitch to this week where I find myself in the middle an intarsia bag with nine yarn bobbins dangling from it (you might have to wait a week ot two to see the final results of this one).



However, to celebrate my first year as a knitter, I decided to go back to basics with this super simple glasses case.

I saw the project in July 2011's edition of Knit Today magazine in an article by Nicki Trench about teaching children to knit. I am never put off by designs intended for children to make - it tends to make me think I have a better chance of getting it right! I also thought the button design was sweet.

The pattern is a simple garter stitch rectangle of 10 stitches on 8mm needles. I used some Bergere de France Galaxie I had bought a little while ago after seeing it in a magazine. At only 30% wool, it doesn't really pass my yarn snob test but I was attracted to the sparkles.

Having completed the knitting but before making up, I sewed on an assortment of buttons in purples and pinks using a matching embroidery thread. As ever, the project suggested adding the buttons after making up, but that's so much more fiddly!

I sewed the sides of the glasses case up using mattress stitch rather than the recommended oversewing. One thing I wish I'd known as a beginner was how much difference it makes if you know how to sew up your project properly. I finished my glasses case with a purple ribbon bow.

Although I could have made this glasses case a year ago, it would have involved much more time, effort and stress, so it does make me realise how far I've come.

Now, back to that intarsia...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment