Friday 29 July 2011

Rosie the Knitted Elephant

My elephant has no ears....

This is Rosie, a project from Knitwit: 20 Fun Projects for Beginners and Seasoned Knitters by Katie Boyette. There are some extremely cool patterns in here, but I would dispute the beginners part of the title as most of the knitting is in the round. I know some knitters will insist it's just as easy as knitting on straight needles, but I respectfully disagree.

As it is, Rosie is marked as an intermediate project rather than a beginner one and I chose to attempt her first, so difficulty probably is in the eye of the beholder.

The instructions in the book are for knitting with double pointed needles. I knitted Rosie using magic loop with circular needles with a long cable as DPNs remain beyond my grasp.

In many ways, Rosie is like lots of the toys I've knitted flat in terms of separate pieces for the body, head, arms and legs (there really aren't any ears). I have to admit that it's nice not to have to do quite so much sewing at the end though.

I used some beautiful pure wool aran in a variegated purple that I found in my stash, which I think looks rather nice. I used some plastic pellets in Rosie's body to help her sit up properly. The rest of her is stuffed with toy filler.



I cut Rosie's eyes free hand from felt as I hadn't photocopied the templates from the book by the time she needed to see. I glued the eyes together as they were a bit fiddly to sew. Rosie also has a a circle of purple felt on the end of her trunk.

Rosie's crown was cut freehand from felt by my husband as his attempt was better than mine.

My husband thinks Rosie looks oidd due to her lack of ears but I find her rather sweet. She doesn't come when called though...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment