Wednesday 11 April 2012

Knitted and Crocheted Bees

Happbee Easter

These are my makes from the Easter weekend. Nothing like a theme is there?

First up was the crochet bee from a PDF pattern I purchased at Yarnabee's Etsy shop. The bee is made with aran yarn and a size F (3.75mm) hook. The pattern suggested using a size G, but I've found F is about my right size for amigurumi crochet. I went for mostly non-traditional bee colours, using up some leftover Rooster Almerino Aran from a teapot kit I finished recently. The pattern called for a colour change and to carry the second yarn along. I'd never done that before, so I watched a few YouTube videos and gave it a shot.



The bee is crocheted from a magic circle of 6 double crochet (single crochet for you US folks) and then in a spiral. As usual with amigurumi crochet, you add the safety eyes and stuffing before you close the whole thing off by decreasing. The wings are cleverly made by replicating just the first two rounds of the body pattern and then stitching on. The finished size is a cute but not minuscule 2.5 x 2.5 inches, including the wings.



Next was this knitted busy bee pin cushion from a supplement that came with the May 2012 edition of Knit Today magazine. The pattern book is entitled 50 Quick Knits. Now that's the sort of pattern book I can get excited about, rather than 5 lace patterns that will take you a lifetime to finish (I know, I have no patience).

I used leftover DK from my stash in slightly more traditional bee colours and 3.25mm straight needles to knit the body in stripes. To make up the bee, I backstitched most of the body together and then turned for stuffing, before closing off the cast on edge. I glued some googly eyes onto my bee's face and made a little mouth from red DK.

Now, the pattern didn't include any wings for the bee, which hubby and I both thought made it look a bit odd. So, I used the crochet pattern to make some slightly bigger wings for my pincushion by adding an extra round. Much better don't you think? This bee is a chubby 3.5 x 3.5 inches around without his wings. Seems a bit mean to stick pins in him but I probably will :)

So that's it for my bee crochet/knitting bee. Let's see what creature I get obsessed with
next..

Melx

2 comments:

  1. Love these Mel!! Just fabee! (sorry!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There's nothing like a good bee pun :)

    ReplyDelete