Wednesday 30 May 2012

Knitted and Crochted Headbands

Hair accessory frenzy
As I've mentioned before, I don't tend to enjoy making more than one of the same thing. That said, I do love a theme. Hence, ending up with these three headbands rather than one.

The starting point was Diane Grimshaw's Beautiful Bands Project in Simply Homemade Issue 17. My effort is a combination of the Knitting Pretty and Bobbles in Blue designs. All the headbands I've used are thin, plastic bands that I picked up in the Accessorize sale. For this version, you first had to knit a cover for the band using 5mm needles and DK. My hot pink yarn is Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk. You essentially knit a strip in moss stitch that you then oversew it onto the band. I was a bit sceptical that the knitting would be the right size for my band and indeed it took me two attempts to get it right. Once sewn on, I glued the strip to the ends of the headband for extra security.



The second part of the design was to wrap around some biased binding, secured to the knitted strip at each end with a few stitches. I used some rather posh Liberty biased binding from Clothkits. Finally, I glued on a couple of dense pom poms from my stash.



By this stage, I'd got to thinking that it would be easier to cover the headband in crochet as you would  keep going until the headband was covered rather than needing to guess the size. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite work out how to double crochet over the headband. I took myself to YouTube and finally figured it out from watching this video many times over.
Having created a cover from black DK, I simply glued on a cute felt heart embellishment from Blooming Felt.



Flushed with success, I finished with this crochet tiara from a PDF pattern from Cheryl Cambras's Etsy Shop. The pattern began with the same double crochet covering and then used doubles, trebles and skipped stitches to create the tiara shape. I used some leftover Debbie Bliss Glen yarn and a size G (4.25mm) hook.  I'm not sure my version is perfect, but in fact it's my favourite of the three. Unfortunately, my husband says I'm not allowed to wear the tiara outside the house...

So, there's my headband jag and I've a few plain headbands left for when inspiration next strikes.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment