Saturday 28 August 2010

Knitted Pumpkin Tea Cosy Kit

Why can't I count?

So here we have my most challengting knit to date. It is a lovely tea cosy kit from Laughing Hens. The pattern is under their own brand and comes complete with Debbie Bliss Cashmarino Aran and the 4.5mm needles to make the tea cosy. I love Hallowen-related items on an all-year-round basis so this seemed like the perfect make for me.

The challenge is that, to make the pumpkin ridges, you purl a set of stitches, turn the work, knit the stitches and then turn the work once again and purl. Although you were doing this with a relatively small numbers of stitches, I found it a huge challenge to keep count and make sure I was doing the right stitch on the right side.

So challenging in fact, I had to eschew my normal crafting companions of the TV on and the odd glass of wine. For the final stages, I even sat bolt upright at the kitchen table rather than lounging on the sofa. This strategy attracted the attention of my cat, Chloe, who pronounced my work in process "cosy".



The making up was fairly straightforward. Happily the cosy fit my only full-sized tea pot. I had visions of carrying the tea cosy round china shops looking for a match. The finished product is riddled with mistakes, however, the ridging hides quite a few and I'm displaying it with the better side facing out.

Still, an important learning curve and I do love pumpkins....

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment