Tuesday 19 October 2010

Halloween Fabric Hamper

Sew Hip Issue 22

I just love storage in all its glorious forms - boxes, baskets, buckets, jars, bags, drawers, compartments etc. As a multiple crafter, I always have plenty of stuff I need to store too. So, for November's Sew Hip Magazine, the Handy Hampers project by Niki Jarvis was a an easy choice for my monthly make.

I was also completely desparate to use this amazing My Minds Eye Boo to You! fabric I bought recently from the fabulous Seamstar. So you see, Halloweeen-themed storage combines two of my very favourite things.

For the lining, I used some plain lilac cotton drill I had in stash. I used quilting batting for the wadding in the side and base but sew-in interfacing for the handles to stop them being too bulky.

The method to create the side and base was fairly straightforward. You sandwich the outer fabric, lining and wadding right sides together and then turn and the hand sew the gap. The handles are also sandwiched in there - I was thrilled to find they ended up on the right side and untwisted!

The difficulty I had was with sewing the seam for the side panel and then sewing the side panel to the base. I was concerned that all the layers were too thick for my lightweight sewing machine and I wanted to ensure the side panel fit the base properly.

In the end, I decided to hand sew the panel around the base. I did this both on the outer and lining side for extra durability and neatness. I then overlapped the side panel and hand sewed that down too. My handles aren't quite in the middle, but otherwise I'm pretty pleased and I do love that fabric!

But what to store in my Halloween hamper? I think, as you can see from the piccie, it will have to join the other storage pressed into service to house my growing yarn stash (another eight balls came in the post just today!). The impromptu overlapped bit also creates a handy pocket for knitting needles, so you see these things happen for a reason...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment