Tuesday 12 October 2010

Sirdar Indie Wrap and Tank Top

Grown Up Knitting... 

My knitting adventures to date have been largely based on fripperies - bags, purses, toys and the like. Although the ability to make such items was the reason I learned to knit, I wondered if I should attempt something a bit more substantial.

I had seen Sirdar's Indie yarn trailed in a couple of knitting magazines and liked the look of it. It's 51% wool and 49% arcrylic (handily, I've set my yarn snobbery level at 50% wool minimum). The yarn is self-patterned, knitted on nice chunky 12 mm needles and has a lovely soft feel to it.

I saw the yarn in the flesh at a craft show in Manchester and duly bought the Sirdar pattern book Indie Knits and 5 balls of Apache shade 150 (got to love the names they give the colours). With my 5 balls, I made this lovely ribbed wrap. Unlike my previous attempt at rib (a hat), the ribs stay in line all the way through. My husband pronouced it "very professional".

The making up instructions were a bit vague so I sewed a big lilac button through both halves of the wrap so that you pull it on over your head. I really like the Apache colourway and have bought some more to make a hat and scarf.

Flushed with success, I decided to be a bit more ambitious and try the tank top in Navajo (shade 151). This was a bit scary, especically when you had to divide the stitches for the neck and try to make sure both halves were the same size. I mysteriously went about quarter of a ball over the amount I was supposed to (and didn't check if the dye lot was the same for the extra ball I had to send for), but the thing appears to fit so I'm not worrying.



The making up across the shoulders is shockingly bad but not too noticeable. However, I was truly chuffed with my mattress stitch up the sides, which I managed after watching this video about a dozen times.

Despite this modest success, I'm probably not planning to attempt loads of garments. It's often not terribly economic if you like nice wool (the tank top came in about £36, which isn't too bad). Also, if you're a bit on the lardy side like me, clothes are going to take an age, especially if spindly needles are required.

Still, I've made two proper items from a proper pattern book, so I can made the pumpkin purse I've got lined up next with a clear conscience.


Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment