Friday 5 November 2010

Knitted Friendly Ghosts Kit

Spooky....

Following up on the Halloween theme, I have recently finished a kit by Bergere de France called "Gentils Fantomes", which I believe translates to "Friendly Ghosts".

The kit came from Crafty Yarn for £17.99. The website just showed a picture of the finished ghosts, so I assumed, partly because of the subject matter, it was some sort of rough and ready indie kit. In fact, it arrived in a beautiful posh box with a magnetic closure. You get full sized balls of all the wools used and a pattern booklet in multiple languages (one of which was happily English!).

I decided to start with this fluffy grey ghost as it looked the easiest. He is knitted in Plume wool on 5.5mm needles. I have to say that I hated the feel of the toy stuffing you got with the kit and replaced it with my usual stuff. The kit included buttons for the eyes and I embroidered the mouth in silver grey embroidery thread. The pattern included tassels on each corner of the bottom of the ghost but I thought it was a bit much. Plume is very soft and cute and remains my favourite of the three.


Next up was this fellow whose body is knitted on 4mm needles in the Sport yarn. I found him a bit tricky because the pattern included the dreaded words "at the same time" and you had to remember to co-ordinate making the decreases to form the triangle with changing the pattern between garter stitch and stocking stitch. The wings are knitted on 3mm needles with grey Caline yarn. To finish, I decided to add a bit of colour by using green flower buttons from my stash and matching thread for the mouth. The pattern used cord from a French knitter for decoration but I decided a tassel for the head would be more fun.



Finally, I moved onto this ghostie, who was knitted in white and grey Caline yarn on 3mm needles. I made a terrible hash of the wings and decided to sew them on the wrong way round so you see the straight edge rather than curves. The buttons and mouth are as per the pattern, but rather than embroidering Boo! (or Booh! as apparenty it is in French), I used my Cuttlebug to cut a couple of Boo!s from orange felt and glued them on.

I thought this was a really unusual and fun kit to make and I now have a house filled with friendly ghosts. Cool, n'est pas?

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment