Tuesday 23 November 2010

Knitted Seaside Cottage Kit

Knit your own getaway retreat...

This delightful cottage was knitted from a kit from The Little Knit Kit Company in Wales (try saying that after a few chardonnays). It's intended as a starter knitting kit for children, which sounds about my level. I'm always curious about the knitting kits you get for children. I personally wouldn't have been able to work out how to knit from the instructions provided - it was only when someone showed me how to knit in person that I grasped it, but perhaps today's children are brighter...

Having said that, if you know how to cast on, how to knit (not even purl) and how to cast off, the kit is indeed very easy. It comes in a lovely paper bag with all the materials you need to make the complete cottage, including some dinky Pony 4mm knitting needles that I replaced with some grown up ones from my stash.

The cottage is made from four green and two gray flat pieces all in garter stitch. There was a very small amount of shaping for the eaves using knit two stitches together. You were supposed to sew the pieces together for a "rustic effect", which I managed very easily with my scruffy making up.

The kit also includes the felt and embroidery thread to make the windows and the door. The beads and button for the door also come with the kit and I think are a very sweet touch.

The instructions did do that thing I hate of suggesting sewing the features on after you have sewn together and stuffed the cottage. As usual, I decorated the cottage flat before I did the sewing.

Probably the hardest part of the whole thing was sewing the roof onto the house over the eaves. I had trouble keeping the roof in the right position whilst I got the stitches in. The effect is certainly rustic in that area!

I think the finished cottage is really rather nice and there was lots of yarn left over for other projects. I'd definitely try another of these kits - there's a cute cat I've got my eye on...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment