Tuesday 7 December 2010

Momma Mouse Kit

Attack of the Giant Mouse 

I saw this supercute mouse when I visited the Harrogate Knitting and Stitch Show on November 28th. It was a kit from The Button Company costing £19.

I have to say that I am very proud of myself for actually getting on and doing the kit so quickly. I often buy things at shows that then languish unmade for many months or even years. I am especially proud because I was a bit intimidated by the kit because: (1) mousey is rather large at 14" high, and (2) mousey is fairly three dimensional compared with the flatter softies I often made.

The kit comprised the pattern, the brown fleece and the knitted flower fabric, together with the safety eyes and nose and the pom pom ribbon for the neck. I supplied the toy stuffing, thread and interfacing for the front of the ears.

Most of the mouse was machine sewn, which was moderately straightforward given the fairly large pieces. The pattern didn't specify a seam allowance so I veered between a quarter and half an inch, trimming the seams for rounded parts.

My main cheat was the ears. In the pattern, the knitted flower fabric is only used for an inner ear piece. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the pattern was saying about how to make the front of the ear, so I decided just to make the whole front of the ear from knitted fabric and the back from fleece. I think the ears look perfectly good that way.

I assembed the head of the mouse and then the body ready for stuffing, sandwiching in the paws, ears and tail in the right places. I put quite a lot of plastic toy pellets into the base of the mouse to help it stand up easily. I filled the rest of the base and the head with polyster toy stuffing.

To complete the mouse, I hand-sewed the head to the body, which was probably the trickiest bit of the whole project. Finally, I covered my line of stitches with the pom pom neck ribbon.

I found mousey easier to do than I expected and I am quite impressed with the result. I just need to find somewhere to put her now...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment