Saturday 22 January 2011

Cable Knitted Mug Hug & Owl

Cable girl...

Having been knitting diligently for over six months now, I really want to start extending my skills this year. My goals for 2011 include cables, intarsia and knitting in the round. The easiest of that list seemed like cable stitch, so I decided to give that a go first.

Conveniently, I got an Easy Guide to Cable Knitting and a couple of cable needles free with Issue 55 of Knit Today magazine. The guide included a pattern for a mug hug with a cable forward pattern. After a couple of attempts, I was able to produce this handsome jacket for my cup in Rowan Pure Wool DK.

My husband was most amused - he seemed unconvinced that mugs need woollen outfits to keep them warm. I can't wait to see his face when I make the apple (the fruit not the IT company) cosy featured in the next issue of Knit Today.



My second cabling adventure was this owl from a PDF pattern by Julia Marsh of Hand Knitted Things. I have a black cat that Julia knitted and it's just beautiful. I was therefore very keen to try this pattern but had been procrastinating because it contained cables.

So, following my fairly successful mug hug, I printed out the pattern and gave it a go. The owl is knitted on 12mm needles using two strands of Rowan Big Wool that I got for the absolute bargain price of £1.49 in the HobbyCraft sale. There are three sets of back and then front cables that are used to make the shape of the owl.

I pulled the knitting back at last three times, but fortunately it was quick to knit. I'm still not entirely sure if the back cables are correct but I I think it does look fairly owl-like? The thick knitted fabric is really luxurious too.

The pattern is called Wide Awake/Sleepy Owls as you are supposed to put a face on each side of the body. I opted to stick with wide awake only. I tried button eyes first but found them a bit starey so substituted some orange toy safety eyes.

As I was still a bit doubtful, I did what I always do in moments of uncertainty and reached for the embellishments. I sewed a pretty pink bow on owl's head and glued on a felt flower embellishment from Paper and String. I looked at her again this morning and I now pronounce the result to be "quite cute".

I'm not sure I can say I've mastered cables just yet, but I don't think that's a bad start...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment