Tuesday 18 January 2011

Sleepy Squirrel Journal Cosy

Sew Hip Issue 25

Lots to love in February 2011's Sew Hip magazine once you had hastily thumbed past the hideous beige cape (apologies to beige cape lovers - not my thing and not just because I couldn't have made it if I wanted to).

I just couldn't resist this supercute squirrel cosy by Helen Dickson. The only snag was that it was meant to be a hot water bottle cover and I don't possess such a thing. However, it occurred to be that it would make an equally fab journal cosy. Let me explain...

I have an enormous stash of beautiful notebooks and journals but they are all so nice I don't like to write in them. As a 2011 resolution, I decided to bite the bullet and get out my beautiful handmade leather owl journal by Moxie And Oliver. However, I was a wee bit worried about getting it dirty when I took it out and about, so a journal cosy seemed like just the ticket.



The squirrel applique pieces were provided in the Sew Hip pattern. However, I do wish they would splash out and provide a separate body, tail and tummy piece, though, as there was just the whole squirrel piece and it was a bit fiddly separating the bits. I just used ordinary craft felt for the squirrel body and tail and a scrap of Moda Freebird for the tummy.

I embroidered the features onto the squirrel's face and body first. Not my best skill but I don't think it looks too wonky? I then appliqued the tummy piece in place. The project suggested doing this after attaching the squirrel to the cosy but I thought it would be tidier this way round. I then sewed the squirrel's tail and body to the cosy.


For the outer of the journal cosy, I used some cream 100% wool felt I had in stash, cut it to the size of the journal (a bit tricky as the journal is quite thick) and then machine sewed up the sides.

To finish off, I sewed a large press stud to the underside of the flap to fasten the cosy. I covered that over with a gorgeous handmade wooden button from Fiona Macneil, who was also featured in February's Sew Hip.

So, I'm super-pleased with my journal cosy, only now I'm worried about that getting dirty. I need a cover for my cosy...

Melx

4 comments:

  1. Admiring your cosy. I can also see why you wouldn't want to get the original leather owl journal cover dirty. It's lovely. Kay x PS I also judged the cape to be hideous. Very trendy, but still hideous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kay! It is a lovely journal. Also, glad it's not just me who hates that cape ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he looks lovely - may well use him like this myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ellie - I think you could use the applique on anything really, it's so sweet.

    ReplyDelete