Wednesday 16 February 2011

Fluffy Stuffy Bunny

The best things in life are free...

One of my favourite blogs is Super Cute Kawaii. Over the time I've been reading it, that blog has been responsible for me parting with more than a little of my disposable income by highlighting gorgeous purchases like this bear, which I ordered only this morning.

In fairness, though, Super Cute Kawaii also provides links to lots of freebies and giveaways, including the pattern for this delightful rabbit and her dress from Jenny B Harris of Allsorts. Jenny's blog includes a detailed tutorial for both the bunny and the dress and free PDF patterns. You might also want to take a look to see how it should have turned out :)

To begin, I glued the bunny pattern (body and ear) to stiff cardboard. The technique for both the ears and the body was to draw round the shape on the fabric and then machine sew around the outline with a small gap for turning. I then cut out the shape with pinking shears and turned for stuffing. I used a spotty red fabric for the ears and a white, fleecy fun fur for the body. I didn't do nearly as poorly as I have before with the fun fur under my sewing machine but there was still some swearing. The trickiest part was sandwiching the stuffed ears into the right place under the outline for the body.

Once I turned the bunny, I decided to use safety eyes and a safety nose for the face. I actually think my bunny is not as cute as Jenny's because of that, but it's too late now. Once bunny was stuffed and the gap sewn up by hand, I made the pom pom tail. Lucky bunny got some leftover pink baby alpaca made into a tail with my trusty Clover pom pom maker. Looking at bunny's tail just makes me smile.



To avoid bunny being naked, Jenny thoughtfully included a pattern for a reversible dress. I'm not sure mine is entirely reversible but I used a purple floral for the front and a lilac spotty fabric on the back. As Jenny suggested, I used felt ribbon for the dress yoke, fastened with a small press stud. I added two tiny purple spotty buttons for decoration.

To finish off bunny, I sewed on a small Papermania purple bow.

So, thanks Jenny and thanks Super Cute Kawaii.

Melx

2 comments: