Monday 21 February 2011

Knickerbocker Glory Purse Kit

Yummy felting....

This is my second kit from the delightful Knitting Sundae. Following the success of my felted Neapolitan pencil case, I had no hesitation in making a further purchase on an ice cream theme.

I felt the kit was once again a fantastic bargain at only £7. It included variegated 100% chunky wool in pink and green, a zip and an iron-on cherry motif. Best of all, the kit came complete with a handmade polymer clay ice cream cone charm for the zipper. The kit was  presented in a lovely paper bag (I think everything should come in paper bags) fastened with ice cream design ribbon. It was a shame to break into it really.

Anyway, I reluctantly disturbed the packaging to knit the purse on 7mm needles in a single piece of stocking stitch. I soon worked out that I probably had enough yarn for two purses, so I made one in pink and one in green. I sewed each purse up the sides with mattress stitch ready for felting

The wool felted brilliantly - one trip around the washing machine at 40 degrees gave me two purses of just the right size (about 5" x 3.5"). I decided not to line the purses as it the fabric was so firm and smooth.

I hand-sewed the pink zip that came with the kit into the pink purse and a cream zip from my stash into the green one using ordinary sewing thread.

For the pink purse, I attached a Melody Ross felt flower embellishment I had in my stash to the outside of the purse and used the fabulous polymer clay ice cream cone charm from the kit for the zipper pull.



I used the cherry motif from the kit on the green purse and then added a silver cherry charm to the zipper (this was actually a little gift from Lucy at Knitting Sundae for buying a second kit).

So, two cute and handy purses for the price of one:) I also bought a Mint Choc Chip Gadget Case Kit. from Lucy that I am looking forward to making shortly.

Melx  

No comments:

Post a Comment