Wednesday 18 May 2011

Pink Knitted Cupcake Purse

Knit Today Issue 60

I am seriously behind with my projects from the magazines I subscribe to. I'm supposed to do at least one project from each issue but I'm having trouble keeping up with my own aspirations on this one. I finally decided to get a grip with June 2011's issue of Knit Today.

This is Katina Killey's (hi Katina if you're reading) Pencil Perfect project. It looked fun, quick and easy and I was even encouraged to try it by Knit Today's Knitting Horoscope (I'm an Aquarian) that proclaimed, "it's time to take pleasure in simple things".

I decided to reduce the size slightly and make the pencil case into a coin purse by casting on 30 stitches rather than 45. Like Katina, I used Rowan Handknit Cotton, opting for a pretty shade of pink I had in stash. I haven't done much knitting with cotton but I like the crisply defined stitches you get, although I did have to watch my tension. The project is knitted on 4mm needles with a patterned front and a plain stocking stitch back.

Having completed my lovely knitting, I was then faced with the horror of the zip. Despite the fact I have been sewing for considerably longer than I've been knitting, I still loathe zip fitting. I decided in the end to sew the zipper on through the right side of the cast on edge for the front and back of the purse. If you use ordinary sewing thread and small stitches, it's not realIy visible, but it is easier to see what you're doing that working on the wrong side of the knitting.

I then needed to cut my pink zip down to fit the purse and, having cut off the stopper, managed to pull the zipper off and my poor husband had a fun 20 minute re-attaching it. Once that drama was out of the way, I mattress stitched the sides of the purse together and finally sewed together the cast off edges on the bottom of the purse. I then sewed on a cute little cupcake button.

Katina suggested adding a lining, which I made from some cute Beatrix Potter pink cotton fabric. For extra robustness, I added some sew-in interfacing and stitched three sides of the lining together using my sewing machine. I folded over the top of the lining and pushed it inside the purse. I slip stitched the lining by hand to the zipper tape as per the method I often use from Bend-the-Rules Sewing by Amy Karol. My purse feels really substantial now.



For a final luxurious flourish, I made a zipper puller using a beautiful glass strawberry shortcake cupcake bead from my favourite lampwork artist By Keiara. I mounted the bead onto a sterling silver eye pin between two red Swarovski crystals and then wrapped the loop. I used a jump ring to attach the cupcake to the zipper. 

So, I feel much more on top of my knitting now, although there are another two projects I want to get done from the same issue. Sigh....

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment