Monday 2 May 2011

Mochimochi Land Tiny Baby Bunnies

My own private bunny army...

I'm currently working on quite a complex knitted bag, which I hope to be showing on this blog in the next week. However, I've reached the strap and it's all starting to drag a bit. I did 48 more rows today and it still doesn't look any longer...

So, I allowed myself a little break to make myself one or two (ok, nine so far and counting) of these tiny knitted bunnies from a fabulous free pattern from Mochimochi Land.

I saw the pattern featured on favourite blog Supercute Kawaii and really, really wanted some tiny bunnies of my own. Now, I love Mochimochiland and I have Anna Hrachovec's book Knitting Mochimochi. Unfortunately, I've never felt up to knitting anything from it because the designs are mostly on spindly double pointed needles and often start with a very small number of stitches, which I'm not quite ready for (although I remain optimistic).

The bunny pattern was in the same style but I decided that their cuteness deserved a bit of ingenuity. The ones in the pattern were made with 2.25mm DPNs with fingering weight yarn. I went for 2.5mm needles and double knit. In fairness, I did use DPNs because I don't have any straight 2.5mm needles and the DPNs are nice and short. I knitted each bunny flat in stocking stitch. I had to alter the pattern a bit to get the increases and decreases all on the knit rows and I added an extra row for seaming. I joined the bunny with matress stitch on its underside whilst stuffing with a bit of toy filler. They came out at about 2cm long.


I made the ears as per the pattern with a two stitch icord that you simply thread through the body. The tail is embroidered with a few stitches in yarn. I made my eyes from small felt circles punched out with a Crop-A-Dile and glued to the bunny. If you look carefully, the zombie green bunny has embroidered crosses for eyes instead.

Once I made one, I couldn't stop and I can't usually bear to knit anything twice. I used some pastel Rooster Almerino DK for some of the bunnies and Rowan Pure Wool DK for some of the brighter bunnies. There are some scraps of variegated yarn and some King Cole in there too. The trick is not to let the stitches get too tight and to avoid splitting the yarn.



Assuming I can bear to part with any of them, I thought they would make cute gifts for friends. Endless fun for very little time and zero cost, so thank you Mochimochi Land.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment