Friday 14 October 2011

Crochet Clutch and Basket

Crochet refresher...

I've been aware that, although I've made a few things since I learned to crochet back in March, I've been a bit neglectful of my hooking of late. So, I decided to brush up on my crochet with a couple of quick and simple projects.

First up, was this simple clutch from a free pattern on the Lion Brand Yarns website. I made it using Sirdar Click Chunky and a 6mm crochet hook.

Now, unfortunately, the one thing I didn't master on my crochet course was crocheting into the foundation chain. The instructor showed me how to make a chainless foundation row of double crochet. I reminded myself how to do it using this great video on YouTube.

Once I had my 18 stitches, it was just double crochet and then chain and turn until the piece was long enough. I made up the sides of the clutch using a crochet hook and slip stitch.

As the pattern suggested, I sewed on a button and used the natural gap in the crochet fabric as a button hole. In fact the button is rather fabulous. It's from a vintage-style range I bought from Loop Yarn Shop in London. Quite pricey at £27.95 for seven buttons, but very nice...



To finish off, I made a lining on my sewing machine using some pretty pink fawn fabric from Fabric Rehab and then slip stitched it into the clutch by hand.

The second project I tackled was this sweet crochet basket from I book I bought recently, Pots to Knit and Crochet by Gina Alton, which is a great resource for a container obsessive such as myself.



The basket is made in spirals in double crochet and uses chain to make the handle with a slip stitch finish. You can make it in any yarn/hook combination. I chose red Icelandic Lopi with a 5.5mm hook. I'm always terrified of my stitch marker falling off when crocheting in the round. I really should get one with a lobster clasp.

To finish the basket, I felted it in the washing machine on a single 60 degree cycle and left it to dry stuffed with tissue paper to maintain its shape. Now the basket is all fluffy yet quite robust.

So, having warmed up a bit, I'm going to tackle some amigurumi. I've just started a matryoska doll pattern from Amy Gaines and I'm leafing through Super Scary Crochet by Nicki Trench for something cool to make for Halloween.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment