Monday 27 February 2012

Knit Your Own Valentine Bunny Kit

My what a pretty dress you're wearing... 


This is a lovely 100% wool knit kit that I purchased from Made by Ewe's Etsy Shop for $26. I have also purchased a couple of the cute sheep kits on sale in the store but they are in my "queue". For some reason, bunny got to jump to the top.


She is knitted on 4mm needles, which seemed a little larger then usual for DK toy knits but it worked fine. The kit includes British wool for all the parts of the rabbit so I started with the grey for the body. The bunny is a traditional toy knit made flat and then sewed up, so there was a head, four ears, two bodies, two arms and two legs to wade through.


I adopted my usual technique of sewing up and stuffing as I went along. As with most toy knits, I had grave misgivings until it all came together at the end. My husband was no help at all when I asked him if he thought I had sewn my bunny's arms on too low (rabbits don't have arms apparently). As it is, my bunny is about 3 inches smaller than the kit suggests it should be, but t looks nicely in proportion so I refuse to worry.


The dress was the most fun yet the hardest to knit. I've done my back in quite badly and had just started some new pain killers that didn't really help (my concentration - they were quite beneficial for my back). Decreasing whilst in rib was a whole new experience but I'm giving myself an A for effort.


Finally, I knitted the little garter stitch heart in two pieces and sewed it together. The kit did include some lovely natural fleece to use as stuffing for the rabbit, but I forgot all about it and used ordinary polyester toy filling. However, I did use the fleece for a subsequent project and can attest it is really nice.


Well, there she is - ever so cute and the wool she is made of is just fabulous. This may just motivate me to get on with my sheep kits and also the owl kit I just bought...


Melx

2 comments:

  1. how cute, she looks lovely and glad you enjoyed making her x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did and I think your kit are fab!

    ReplyDelete