Thursday 9 February 2012

Toft Alpaca Pom Pom Scarf Kit

Who said garter stitch is boring? 

This creation is my birthday gift from my husband, which I knitted within exactly one week and two days of receiving it. The kit came from Toft Alpaca and was fairly dear for a scarf at £69 (not that I should be looking as it was a present).

The kit comprised three 100g balls of alpaca aran from the range of natural shades Toft stock. I chose silver, which is not the same as grey, honest. The kit comes with four alpaca fur pom poms, which are unbelievably soft. Now, I never thought I would have any clothing featuring real fur. However, according to the Toft website, the fur comes from young alpacas who have died from natural causes in Peru, so the poms poms are both ethically sourced and fair trade.

Knitting the scarf was actually a real joy. It was made on 4.5mm needles all in garter stitch. You start with some simple increasing, then work straight (for a long time!) and finally knit three prongs of 10 stitches separately. The yarn was lovely to knit with and the whole thing was very zen. Some people find excessive garter stitch dull, but I found it rather relaxing.





After weaving in the ends, the final stage was to attach the pom poms. They come with a sort of string that I sewed and then knotted through the starting end of the scarf and then through each prong.





The scarf is almost too nice to wear. I caught my youngest cat, Dexter, eyeing up the poms poms, so perhaps I should make good use of it before he does!

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment