Friday 4 June 2010

Fun Sun Lampwork Necklace

Elastic Joy


This is the necklace I made with the second set of handmade lampwork beads I bought recently from the amazing By Keiara. As well as my fab Zombie Bears, I also got this set of five kookie little sun beads with googly eyes. Soooo Cute!!!

Like the Zombie Bear beads, the sun beads are lentils - flattish and drilled through the side. I wanted to do something a little different from the bracelet I'd made already, but what?

As it's been such a warm, sunny week, I eventually decided it would be fun to made a summery festival-type necklace, with my sun beads as the focals. An inspection of my bead stash revealed a box of small glass round beads in rainbow colours that I believe I bought from Beads Unlimited. I dropped the entire box on the floor before I started, but apart from that they were perfect for a posh hippy necklace as I like to think of it.

I spaced the sun beads with sky blue beads to match the eyes and then threaded the rest of the small beads at random (but not with two colours touching as that would bug me!). The necklace is strung on Beadalon Elasticity 1mm. This is quite a thick and a very strong elastic thread - more than enough for these glass beads. I simply don't see the point in faffing around with crimping and clasping when you're planning to slip the necklace on over your head anyway. I (or rather my husband I have to confess) fastens the elastic with a few knots and a dab of superglue and I've never had one come apart yet.

To get the length right, I just kept trying the necklace on until I was happy. The finished product is about 32" long and I'm very excited about wearing it this summer.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment