Thursday 17 June 2010

Whale Brooch

Sew Hip Issue 18

I found it a bit tricky to find something to make from Sew Hip this month. As usual, I dismissed most of the clothes patterns as too hard for my remedial skills. I did fancy the tiered skirt, but didn't have three other skirts handy to make it from. The bags were a bit tricky and I questioned my need for further cushions or needle cases.


Liz Hawkridge's supercute whale brooch had caught my eye when it was featured on the back of Issue 17, but I hadn't quite motivated myself to get all the bits and pieces together for it. Imagine my joy, then, when perusing Folksy to find that Liz was offering a kit to make the brooch for only £4.95 The kit included all the bits and bobs you need, plus, best of all, pre-cut whale pieces. I wasted no time in ordering one up, which arrived the very next day.



It was supereasy to make the brooch from the kit, especially with those fabulous pre-cut whale pieces (did I mention that I liked those?). The only deviation I made from the instructions is that I still considered it too fiddly to join the pieces together with iron-on webbing and just glued them with fabric glue instead.


I think the finished product is quite lovely and very structurally robust.


Although I'm sure lots of Sew Hip readers could have made the brooch from stash, I found the kit really handy for a quick make. I think it was a great idea of Liz's to offer them on Folksy. I could have been even lazier and bought the brooch ready-made from Liz for £7.95. As it was, I settled for another of her fabulous whale creations:


 
Melx

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, very nice whale brooch. I must admit to having sewn nothing from a Sew Hip issue later than no. 10. I am full of good intentions, just rather lacking in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Mel, awesome job done there with Barnacle Whale!!! Mr.Sailor has a friend now :D
    Im glad you enjoyed making him too! Thankyou for your enthusiasm shown in your blog post about using the kit and the pre-cut whale pieces :D
    Happy crafting and keep up the good work!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I know just what you mean - my backlog of intended projects is vast. I try to make it a rule to make one thing before the next Sew Hip arrives, so I'm always looking for something quick and easy. That's why this kit was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Liz. I'm glad you like my whale. Thanks again for the fabulous kit. It really was a joy to make.

    ReplyDelete