Monday 12 July 2010

Soft File Cover

Sew Hip Issue 19


I was very excited by the August issue of Sew Hip as my Owl Doorstop is featured on the letters page. Nonetheless, I had the sterner duty of picking out a project to make before the next issue arrives on the doormat (trying to be disciplined is a terrible thing).


As I'm still not feeling up to making my own wedding dress (plus I'm already married so less useful than it might be), I settled on the soft file cover. I love all things to do with files and filling, so it was perfect. However, I also thought it looked hard. I'm never seduced by that whole Difficulty level: beginner thing....


The first challenge was what file had designer Jane Egan-Cresswell used? It just said A4 plastic. I can appreciate that you are meant to use your own file, so it doesn't matter, but suppose you don't have an unadorned file handy and want to make the project just like the mag? After staring at the photo a while and a trip to WH Smith, I settled on a A4 black plastic hardback display book, which had 20 plastic pockets inside and was in the sale at £2.99.


File in hand, on with the sewing.The first shortcut was the front. Instead of making a patchwork panel, I decide to use just one fabric - some lovely Alexander Henry Willow Shroom that I bought from Seamstar a while ago. I just quilted it simply using a vertical line of sewing on the front and back of the folder. For the lining, I used Tweet Tweet by Keiki, also purchased from Seamstar.


Next, I decided to skip making the flowers for the tab myself and used pre-cut felt flowers I already had in stash. I did make a cover button from the lining though, using my easy US cover button kit.


Now, I had intended to make my own binding as per the project, but unfortunately, I miscut the lining fabric, so I didn't have strips that were long enough. A quick raid of my sewing supplies revealed some ready-made bias binding that I used instead, although I'm not convinced I applied it correctly. A tiny bit of the front fabric escaped from the binding and, rather slovenly, I glued the binding over the edge with fabric glue.


I had to hand sew the edges of the folder over as it was getting too thick for my machine. I also left gluing the velcro circles for the tab closure until the very last thing as it seemed dicey to make a commitment any sooner. Happily it does seem to fasten properly.


I think the finished result is rather sweet, although I need to find something to put in the file now...


Melx

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Obviously one reason you used Seamstar fabric :) but mainly because how it all went off plan and how you tweaked it to get it finished (plus very funny!). Will be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. I do love fabric from Seamstar. I just got a new Sprout designs FQ and need to find something cool to make with it :)

    ReplyDelete