Monday 5 July 2010

Take Flight Neckace

Wrapped Loops Course

I've been spending the weekend trying to improve my crafting skills again with another course. This was a jewellery-making session organised by the Bead Shop Manchester. I was attracted by both the design of the necklace and a chance to visit the venue, which is in Afflecks. Known as Afflecks Palace in my youth, this is a one-stop-shop for all things vintage, indie, goth and kawaii. It also happens to house a great bead shop, although I always worry about being the oldest person in there, especially on a weekend when it's packed with teenage goths...

The course was on Saturday 11am-1pm and cost £25, including all materials. Our instructor was the lovely Rebecca, a Scot who was a professional singer and singing teacher when not making jewellery.

The key technique taught at the course was wrapped loops. Despite having made my own jewellery for years, I'd never wrapped a loop so I was pleased to be learning something new. Rebecca took the class through the technique step-by-step several times until we got the hang of it, which was great.

The original ncecklace was made with plated black findings. Rebecca mentioned that she normally used 0.6mm jewellery wire for wrapping but only had headpins in the black plate. She warned us that these were shorter and the metal harder, so it made the wrapping more tricky. I wanted to make the necklace as per the sample, so persevered with the headpins, which were indeed challenging. Time flew and I got less than half way through the necklace, but was given all the materials to finish it at my leisure.

Armed with my 10% class discount, I bought some of the recommended 0.6mm wire and matching silver jump rings (plus a whole bunch of other stuff naturally). On Sunday at home, I decided to try the loop wrapping with the wire instead. Loads easier. I could use as much wire for each bead as I wanted (I was positively prolifrigate with it in fact) and it was a lot softer to wrap. With that revelation, I cut apart what I had already done and re-made the entire necklace in less than two hours with the silver findings.

The back of the necklace is made from organza ribbon. Rebecca showed us a simple technique to attach it to the jump rings by wrapping thin wire around it. Finishing up at home, I decided to use ribbon clamps instead as I think they are a bit neater and more secure. I could see why you wouldn't use them in a class though - they are really difficult to crimp neatly or indeed at all with pliers. My husband kindly crimped these two using his mini vice.


So, in summary, a very useful course with a new life skill and a very pretty necklace. I only wish I'd started with the silver wire...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment