Wednesday 7 July 2010

Knitted and Felted Pencil Case

Sheepish... 

This is my finished knitted and felted Herdwick pencil case kit from Sheepfold. I had already tried their super Easy Peasy Purse kit but I love the pencil case even more.

The pencil case was knitted from British Wool on 5.5mm needles in simple garter stitch. The wool was fairly coarse and also shed quite a bit (made a change from being covered in cat hair). When I'd finished the knitted part, I was mildly pannicky that it seemed awfully big for a pencil case, especially as I'd seen the size of the zip.


Mercifully, once I'd sewn the side seams and given it two washes in the machine at 60 degrees, it was just the right size and beautifully felted. Upon seeing the felted finish, my husband remarked that you couldn't tell it had been knitted (cue talk on the nature of felting...).

I finished off by sewing three pencil buttons from the kit on each side (I resisted the urge I had with the Easy Peasy Purse Kit to add every spare button I could find) and then sewed in the zip. The felted fabric is really thick, so it was a bit tricky but it ended up relatively neat for me. As a final flourish, I added a lampwork glass sheep as a zipper pull from my bead stash.

It's obviously far too nice to put any pencils in though....

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment