Friday 24 September 2010

Alien Lampwork Earrings & Plushie

Mmmmm green...

The ever-amazing Keiara made these fabulous alien lampwork beads. These are micro-sized version of her awesome Lil Bit beads and stand just over 1cm high. They are fantastically detailed, with pink spots on the front and purple scales up the back.

My contribution to this fabulous pair was embarrassingly small. I used sterling silver eye pins to create wrapped loops onto earring hooks. Great beads kind of make themselves into jewellery I think.

These cuties also inspired me to make an alien plushie to go with them. I've been wanting to make plushes from my own patterns for a while. Whilst "original" would be a bit much (the earrings were of course an inspiration and my husband says it looks a bit like one of the aliens from The Simpsons), this is my attempt:



To start with, I drew a rough shape onto cardboard, even though I'm lousy at drawing. To ensure the pattern was symmetrical, I folded it in half to cut it out. Using my pattern, I made the alien's body from green polar fleece (I have enough left over for my own alien race). I sewed the two halves together on the sewing machine and clipped the curves.

The eye circle is made from blue felt and appliqued on with embroidery floss. The pupil was cut free hand and glued on. I decorated each leg/fin/tentacle with a purple arcylic button. The bow is made from a square of Moda Free Bird from a charm pack (I was too lazy to cut something out from a bigger piece). I stuffed the alien with a combination of toy filling and plastic pellets to give it a bit of weight.

To finish off my alien, I sewed a ceramic start button on its bottom and, with a touch of narcissism, attached one of my "By Melanie Jane" tags.



A reasonable attempt I think, but not a patch on the earrings...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment