Tuesday 14 September 2010

Knitted Topsy Turvey Turtle

Stripey fun 

My PDF knitting pattern adventures continue with this sweet stripey turtle. She (note the pink embellishments) is from Amanda Berry's Fluff and Fuzz collection that I found in her Folksy Shop.

I didn't get off to the best start when I mislaid the PDF pattern in a fit of cleaning out my email inbox. Amanda was kind enough to send me the pattern again and this time I saved it firmly to my hard drive and printed it out.

I made the turtle from Rowan pure wool DK in gilt for the head and legs and two shades of green for the stripey body. You make each body part separately on straight needles - the head and legs in one piece for each one and the shell in two halves. The pattern was very easy to follow and the making up instructions were very clear. You sew and stuff each body part and then sew them together.

The hardest part for me was using the spindly (I know I use that word a lot of this blog) 3mm needles. I kept pulling stitches off the needle if I misfired a stitch. It was very good practice from that point of view as many of the patterns I've got lined up are knitted on slender needles.

The striping on the turtle doesn't match (one side short stripes and the other long), which undoubtedly saved another headache. I tend to find it boring knitting two identical sides of something and one side always ends up being better than the other.




For embellishment, I used hot pink buttons for the eyes (mainly because that's what colour I had in the right size) and a matching felt flower and button from Blooming Felt. I added a small Papermania bow to her head.

Although it's not quite as neat as the pattern pictures, I was really pleased with my finished turtle and I'm definitely going to try some more of Amanda's patterns.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment