Sunday 19 September 2010

Tree of Life Earrings

Make Jewellery Magazine Issue 18

Slender pickings from my point of view in October's Make Jewellery Magazine. However, having hastily bypassed a necklace made out of sabre tooth-shaped beads that looked positively hazardous to wear, I found the Peace & Harmony project by Linda Jones.

I was particularly taken with these tree of life disc earrings. So, I went ahead and ordered two discs and some 10mm haematite rounds from e-beads. For each earring, I threaded a haematite bead between two smokey grey Swarovski crystals onto sterling silver headpins. I attached the tree of life discs with small jump rings and then added my earring hooks. Very simple, but most stylish I thought.

As I'm incapable of buying beads I've seen in a mag without having a peek at what else the shop in question has to offer, I bought (amonst other things I confess), these rather cute antique silver skull beads ( I do love a nice skull bead).


To go with them, I also bought some fancy round spacers and I just added from my stash very teeny sterling silver round beads on the top of the skull and either side of the round bead. These earrings are made in the same style as the tree of life pair with the round bead on top and the focal bead dangling off the bottom, which I think is a good design to use in future.

I do find earrings very satisfying to make in terms of fairly instant gratification and both these pairs will make fab additions to my hippy and goth jewellery collections respectively.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment