Wednesday 20 April 2011

Crochet Grim Reaper

What a cute scythe you have...

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been struggling a bit with my amigurumi crochet efforts. My first three attempts turned out a bit big and gappy, but I now finally have something I feel is fit to show in public.

This is my second attempt at the Grim Reaper from Christen Haden's fab book Creepy Cute Crochet. It's also my second attempt at buying the book. I first purchased the book in 2009 and, after I learned to crochet last month, I went looking for it, couldn't find it and had to get a second copy. Doh!

Anyway, the book contains crochet patterns for zombies, ninjas, vampires and similar based on the same basic body and head shape. I chose the Grim Reaper here, because it was one of the easiest ones (there's a surprise).

I made attempt #1 with Rowan All Seasons Cotton, which is an aran weight, but it just turned out too big and I ended up with holes on my increases and decreases. This time I used a double knit - Rowan Hand Knit Cotton with a 3.5mm (size E) hook and it seems much better after I made more effort to keep my tension tight. The finished size is about 3.5". I think it may be a little bigger than in the book, but not too bad.

The body and head are crocheted in the round in single crochet; the body in spirals and the head in individual rounds. You made the hood by crocheting around both sides of a foundation chain. I stuffed the body with plastic pellets to help Grim stand up and the head with toy filler. I think my body looks a little bit plump though. I've started the Ninja, which is quite similar, and altered the pattern a little bit to counter that.

In the book, Christen makes her eyes from polymer clay, which seemed very effective but rather hard work. I glued on a couple of felt circles from the centre of some felt flowers and then embroidered the mouth with yarn.

The crowning glory, though, is of course the scythe. I have to confess at this stage that I am not skilled at sculpting but I know a man who is. Hubby made my scythe using two-part epoxy over wire (or that least that's what he told me to say). He then painted the handle and blade with acrylic paint. Super cool, non?

So, I feel I'm at least on my way to amigurumi heaven and I'm looking forward to making many more of the cool creatures in the book.

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment