Monday 25 April 2011

Mr Fox Stole

Yarn Forward Issue 35

This is only the second issue of Yarn Forward (renamed from Issue 36 as Knit magazine) I've ever bought. I've always found it to be rather garment-orientated and with little for the novice knitter. However, I was flicking through the contents page in my local WH Smith (yes I know it's not a library), when this unusual knitted stole caught my eye (who knew shopping could be so dangerous).

Stephanie Dosen's gorgeous fox is knitted from Rowan Cocoon in amber using 7mm needles. Stephanie recommends using two other yarns held double for the white and black bits of the fox. However, I find using yarn double to be a pain so I splashed out on more Cocoon (it's £8.50 for 100g)  for the chin, ears, tail and legs. It's a beautiful yarn so having some left over for another project isn't a problem.

The body and tail of the fox is knitted flat in one long piece and the head is knitted separately. I sewed the head together with mattress stitch, inserted safety eyes and then embroidered the nose. I lightly stuffed the head with toy filler.

Now, for some reason the ears are knitted in the round on 6mm double pointed needles. Given that the rest of the piece is knitted flat, this seemed a bit unnecessary. I gave it a go but I'm still not quite there with my DPNs and it was taking ages so in the end I knitted the ears on straight needles and seamed them up the back. I don't think you can really tell?

The legs are added by picking up stitches from the body, knitting with the amber and then finishing with icord with the black.  This was the bit I held my breath for, but I just about managed it.

In the magazine, you sew the head to the body, but it doesn't mention making up the rest of the legs, body and tail, so they are left open. I decided it would look neater to join the edges of the legs, body and tail so it was like an unstuffed toy.

And there you have it. This is probably one of the most complex but also one of the favourite things I have knitted. It's a shame the sunshine is here so I probably won't get the chance to wear it until next winter. In the meantime, Mr Fox is resting in style on the back of my rocking chair.

Melx

1 comment:

  1. I love this and your other creations! You make me want to learn how to knit!

    ReplyDelete