Tuesday 5 April 2011

Pocket Watch Pendant

Make Jewellery May 2011

The latest issue of Make Jewellery Magazine is a Steampunk special, which I thought was intriguing. There were several pieces I contemplated making, but I settled on Claire Humpherson's Turn Back Time project. I've bought a few pendant watches recently so I thought it would be fun to make my own.

All the materials for the pendant came from Beads Direct, which was handy and they even had most of the bits in stock (I had to choose a different chain and key charm but compared to many of my attempts to buy beads I've seen in magazines, it was a breeze). The whole lot cost £22.50 with a 20% discount voucher that was helpfully included in the magazine.

The pendant was fairly simple to construct. After removing the pocket watch chain, I built up the necklace from sections of Figaro chain interspersed with 6mm Swarovski crystals in rose pink that I mounted on eye pins. For extra interest, the project included a swallow connector and a couple of woven vintage effect connectors, as well as the key charm.

In the magazine, the design included a brass butterfly that you were supposed to attach to the front of the watch casing with a glue gun. I didn't fancy my chances of doing that neatly and I was a bit concerned about it obscuring the time. I therefore opted to dangle a small butterfly charm from the watch casing with a jump ring.

The project also called for three further chains with key charms dangling from the bottom of the watch, but that was just too fussy for my taste so I missed them out.

One thing I wasn't sure of was that the project mixed a bronze watch with antique gold chain and charms. I normally like everything to match but it does actually look fine in the flesh.

So, quite a statement piece that provides a practical function too...

Melx

No comments:

Post a Comment